Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The electronic vote

I participated in the debate that IFE organized. My posture was against the electronic vote. I found it really interesting, and thankfully I agreed with my posture. There are a couple of reasons that Mexico shouldn’t have electronic vote. For example, first Mexico isn’t ready for such a big impact of technology because more than 60% of the population doesn’t even know anything about computers. The electronic vote only benefits people of middle and high class and that is less of population. Another problem for this is that it would be secure anymore because the personal information of everyone would be also in the system; any good hacker could be able to find people´s address and telephone number just by looking at his name. Another reason why I am against is because we shouldn’t experiment with Mexico, if other more developed countries aren’t ready, so isn’t Mexico. My opponent mentioned “the benefit for the electronic vote is that it well be faster and more economical”. My response is, is the acceleration of this a true necessity or just a reflection of the “vida acelerada”. Good things take time, we must use the time we need to make decision so important. Another thing is that we can’t leave big NATIONAL decisions in hands of Mr. Technology, because we must remember that they are depended to light current, what if one day there was no electricity? What would happen to the votes? And what is magically there is a mistake in the counting, what will we say? The machine counted wrong? I don’t think so.

No comments: