Sunday, February 7, 2010

Polygamy, more than a big love


Have you ever watched Big Love? Well, for those who haven’t, it is a TV show about a guy who has several wives and lives with all of them in the same house. Polygamy basically means having more than one wife of husband at the time. Usually Mormons are the ones practicing this because they believe having several wives and a lot of children will help them reach heaven.

I personally do not agree with this type of marriage. I think it is sick and really unfair. I could not imagine myself having to “share” my husband, the man I love, with other women that have the same rights as me. I do not think in this multiple marriages the man actually loves each and every of his wives. I think a person can only love one person truly. I don’t think polygamist marriages are based on care and equality. I think of them as very sexist and possessive. A man can live perfectly happy with one wife. There’s no need of having all those poor women serving one man. But again, that is their religion and beliefs in some cases.

On the other hand, it is really difficult to raise and support all those children. All these births are affecting the economy and making overpopulation grow. Each time a child is born, it represents an expense for the government, and of course for the family. In these times of crisis it is harder to pay for everything a child needs. Also, overpopulation is a major world issue nowadays. I think overpopulated countries should be prepared to apply regulations as soon as possible, just as China did.

It will be really interest having polygamy where a woman has several husbands. I think that will be the ultimate expression of feminism. Maybe one day, this type of marriage will be common. I personally wouldn’t be interested, though. It will make perfect sense if you think about it. Think about all that women have accomplished in such a short period of time. Everything says we will keep fighting for equality and beyond.

No comments: