Sunday, February 7, 2010

Narcotraffic


I used to live in the state of Chihuahua before coming to Sonora. Specifically, I lived in the capital city which name is also Chihuahua. Like three years ago, a small war started, but somehow it was like a controlled war. The “Narcos” (people who sell and distribute drugs) started killing each other because of the rivalry that two bands of the country have. Apparently, these two bands are fighting for the market and because so many border cities have been closed for them, Chihuahua is the only state left and they want to own it no matter what.


So the war started, and you could hear now and then about two or three people murdered per month, but that was it. And I don’t know when or how, but suddenly everybody was so scared of going out; there were so many street fights with guns and heavier weapons; there were not only dead men but their families sometimes had the same luck.


Parents started to freak out, and the number of parties and social gatherings each weekend started decreasing. But it was not until they killed my best friend’s dad, that I was really sick of all this. He wasn’t even a “Narco”, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong moment. I mean, this is not possible! It’s not possible that each time I speak to someone in Chihuahua they only talk about how ugly things are going, how quiet is the city because everyone’s afraid of going out.



It’s sad to know how a lot of families are losing their members, or how some others have chosen to move to another city. I know that in the first case it’s somehow fair because they chose to get into that business, and they knew what the consequences could be, but it’s extremely unfair for their families and above all for their kids. Why in the world would they want that huge quantity of money if they don’t have a dad to talk with? It’s deplorable to even think that this business is still running and how thousands of people are involved in it. I think this issue isn’t just affecting those states that have a major environment of Narco war (like Sinaloa, Baja California, and Chihuahua): it is also affecting the whole country.


I don’t know what the solution to this problem is, perhaps the legalization of drugs, but I just want it to be over. I’m outraged because I have somehow experienced it, and it’s sad and frustrating. I hope those who are the leaders, reflect upon their mistakes and stop thinking only about themselves, and open their mind to see what they’re doing to my dear México.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It must have been difficult for you to share such a difficult experience. Thank you for doing so.