Sunday, March 7, 2010

Crisis and Unemployment


It was not until my first day of school in Hermosillo Sonora, about a semester ago, that I realized that the economic crisis had reached me. What was I doing here? I mean, I had a perfectly good life in my previous city and I didn’t want to move. But it all started in 2007, when the crisis began hitting the United States and as a consequence, Mexico.
Huge firms and corporations have had lots of trouble since this all started. My dad worked at a very important firm in Latin America which is called Femsa. Today, another executive kept my dad’s job, his own job, and the one of another man, remaining with the same salary and now a job that’s supposed to be done by three.
It was sad to know my dad wouldn’t work anymore for a company that had been his life for about 20 years, but I couldn’t stop feeling relieved about him not being so stressed anymore. It’s true that the last years were full of heavy tasks and stressful projects, and I was glad that it all ended. But what is the remaining executive going to do with that triple stress charge? Is it healthy that companies cut their expenditures with the salaries of employees and let the ones remaining suffering the consequences? I guess they don’t have any other option. I guess this crisis didn’t leave a good variety of options for anybody, at least that, as in the picture, they had a super high degree of studies completed.
Unemployment was the most tangible effect of the crisis. All over my country I listen to situations related to this, and I think that this topic isn’t just about losing a job, having less money, and later finding another one; it is something way more serious and deep, and my case could be one example. Losing a job can imply moving from one city to another, losing a house, gaining debts with a bank, the frustration of future plans, etc.
Some people say that this crisis is heading towards stability, but I don’t think so. I’ve heard in the past weeks about several people that are still losing their jobs because firms just can’t handle this. I have no idea when this is going to end, but I think that the Mexican state should, at least in this stage, interfere a little bit more with projects and actions, and not just wait for the United States to be stable again and enjoy that.
So my dad got another job here in Hermosillo and my family and I moved. Therefore, me being here is a direct consequence of this crisis and its high rate of unemployment, and I can’t stop thinking how it changed my life.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let's hope that all of your experiences so far have changed, and will go on to continue to change, your life for the better.

Thanks for this personal account.