Thursday, March 4, 2010

Immigration ..

Yesterday, I heard my parents saying that the situation of Cananea was going from bad to worst. Since my family is from there and we visit it constantly, we have seen and felt how the mine's strike has affected the town. As Frida said in her post, Cananea is being called a "ghost town". That is because all businesses are being closed and people are moving out of there. Eventually, I asked myself: why is that happening? Well, people are starting to move into the United States looking for job opportunities because the mine was the most powerful source of jobs of this place and now that it is closed, it is affecting all of the other small businesses. I think that that is an awful consequence of the miner's act of going on a strike to defend a man who stole them millions of pesos. For that, now everyone in the town is suffering the consequences and have to immigrate to the US to find a job and support their families. Yeah, they might not get a lot of money and be very rich by going there, but at least it is something. Still, it is really dangerous for them to immigrate, since most of them go there illegaly. If they get caught, well of course, they are returned to Mexico if they cooperate with the border patrol. But what happens when the immigrant decides to run? They shoot him. I think that is sooo inhumane! Yes, the immigrant did wrong on trying to escape from the border patrol, but why dont these guys run after him?, I mean, I do not blame him for trying to survive and help his family. All of this brought me to think that we should think on making more job opportunities for mexicans IN MEXICO. We have a lot of resources, we just need to find out how to use them efficiently.

No comments: