Thursday, February 4, 2010

Women´s Identity


Last days, I was looking at the newspapers and I noticed that most women were named like this: "Mrs. María de Perez", Mrs. Ana de Lopez and so on. And, I asked myself, where did her real surname go? Are they property of their husbands? Some told me it was a custom. But, why do women have to do this, why not man? Why a man cannot be named, Mr. Luis de García?

I think women can do it better (I do not mean better than men, I believe in gender equality but better than they are doing today).

What are these all Mrs. de Lopez going to do when Mr. Lopez die, or runaway? They are going to be NOBODY. Ah, I am wrong, they are going to became the widow of Mr. Lopez.

So, women must keep their names, even after marriage. They must make an identity and work it throught the years and finally, make it an important name so people can say, 'Ah, I remember Ana Ruiz, she was an extraordinary women', not 'Ah, I remember Mr. Garcia's wife, she was a very good person'.



No comments: