Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Different Look at Tucson


Last week, several classmates and I had the chance to visit a High School in Tucson as part of the AMUN. This is a Model of the United Nations in which high school students participate. Because of the friendship between Tec de Monterrey and Catalina Foothills High School, we got the chance of participating in a small exchange program. We visited them and interact with their families as they hosted us one night. On Thursday, the day before MUN began, we spent the day in their high school and I was able of noticing all the differences a small line called border can create.
When we arrived, they had prepared a barbecue to get to know each other. It was a lot of fun and everyone was willing to get to know us and the way we lived. We talked a lot about the differences between our schools. Their school was a lot bigger, nearly 1800 students. They have to move from classroom to classroom because each teacher was his or her our room, so there’s a lot of walking during a school day. It was a great experience because I had never been to a school in another country before. As we all know, their culture is very different from ours. People are a lot more open-minded, like in European countries. I entered a Spanish class with the girl who hosted me and I sat in front of the whole class so they could ask me questions about Mexican culture and so they could practice their Spanish. It was harder than I thought speaking about what we do, what we celebrate and how do we speak informally.

I think we all became good friends; we had a great time with the students from Catalina. Getting to know some of them before the conference helped me participated a lot more at the committee. We were the only Mexican students who had the chance to know totally different people. I hope our friendship does not go away and that I have the chance of seeing them next year. I am extremely happy the school supported us and organized this awesome trip.
It was the best trip I’ve ever done to Tucson because I got to see the people’s culture and a different side of the city other than just shopping. I will never forget everything I learned during these 4 days and I am looking forward to next year’s MUN.

2 comments:

Andrea Aguilar Ochoa said...

I think that this trip was very useful for Andrea and all her partners because they live a new experience. An experience that it's difficult to live. She visited a School that had great installations and a big organization.

Anonymous said...

I also think that this post is excellent because it highlights all what we are trying to achieve with our annual trip to the AZMUN conference. Thanks Andrea.